Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Horrible Reality of an Injury in S.K.

1. Showering is no longer enjoyable.
First I must double wrap my cast in a plastic grocery bags, then I have to stand on one foot while my other foot is resting in the sink so water doesn't flow down on it.  I suppose this also means I have one stinky foot.
2. Not being able to explore.
It is extremely frustrating that I have not even walked around the area I live in. Sure I've seen the grocery store, local bar, and convenience stores, but only the necessities. I am dying to discover something fantastic all on my own.
3. Losing my independence
I have faced the cold hard fact that I am not physically stable, therefore if I want to venture somewhere it is imperative that I have a chaperon incase I fall and injure myself even more. The possibility of a "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!" scenario is very likely.
4. Being surrounded by mountains and not being able to climb them
One of the first things I loved about South Korea was that it has a big hiking community due to the mountains. Although it is likely that it will consist of me and the "old people," I was still excited to get out and experience some nature.
5. Living in one of the most highly populated areas of the world
Getting around on crutches is not easy in the 11th largest city in the world. Being pushed and bumped is a part of my daily routine. I have to admit, at first I was furious, now I expect it.
6. How exhausting it is to use crutches
As energetic as my being is, I have never been so exhausted after getting home from work.  Crutching from A to B can wipe me out. I feel like an old woman most of the time.
7. Shopping is a work-out
In order to grocery shop I have to bring my backpack since I can't push a cart or carry anything while on crutches. When I enter I have to explain to the security person that I'm not trying to steal anything, but that I simply can't multitask with crutches. (all with body language). Then I shop until I can't fit anything else in my backpack. Check out and then crutch home with a heavy backpack. Even though it's only about a block away, I work up a sweat.
Once I tried shopping for clothes and shoes at an underground market, and it almost put me into a clinical depression.
8. The inability to multitask
Sure, her foots broken, but she can still use her hands right? Wrong! My hands are doing all the walking and have no time to do anything else. How I long to be able to walk and put chapstick on at the same time, or open a door and get inside in less than 10 seconds. My hands are more excited to get the cast off than my ankle is to bend.
9. Public transportation was once my true love
I am such an avid public transporter, I haven't owned a car in two years. I love living in a city with an immaculate subway and now it is a pain to use. Only about half of the subway stops have an elevator which means I have to do about 48 stairs or more every time I exit or enter the subway. 
10. STAIRS


No comments:

Post a Comment